Recitals, Community, and Bright Ideas


   When I was growing up, my piano teacher always took us to seniors’ homes in the spring to play for them. It was the same for the seven years I spent in a handbell choir. And the lessons I learned from doing that were more important than any half-hour spent with my teacher. As I’d go around and greet the grandparents and great-grandparents who had come to hear us play, I realized how much it meant to them. They were so delighted to have children and young people come and play for them. Many of them wanted to talk, and I learned that they had interesting things to say – stories, words of encouragement, testimonies of their faith in God.

   I want my students to learn to share their gifts with the community. And I want them to find what I did. Not only is it more blessed to give than to receive; but also when you give, you receive.

   So this week, we had our spring recital at the Good Sam in Spruce Grove. I’m pleased to say it went well. Everyone played well, everyone handled their nervousness and their mistakes. It was a first recital for two of my students – something brand new.
  I collaborated with my former music teacher to pull this off -- the same one who did this with me.


  






   On a different note, I’m excited about a few things I got at the AHEA convention. Mostly ideas and online resources to help me teach better. I met a very experienced teacher there who was very happy to share the tips and tools she’s learned over the years with me – and also quite happy to brag on her excellent students a bit. ;) I really can’t blame her for that, though! They were good.

   Hopefully I will find some time in my crowded schedule to look up all the websites she gave me. And speaking of crowded schedules, if anyone is interested in taking a drive to hear some music, I will be substituting with Parkland Bells on May 27th in Entwhistle Community Church. The only time the director informed me of was 'afternoon,' but I suspect it will start between 2:00 - 2:30. (Or you can go to one of their Mother’s Day concerts in Spruce Grove – but I won’t be there.) They are a really good bell choir. I should know, because I rang with them for a number of years. Some very talented musicians will be playing at the concert -- pianinsts, a lady with her clarinet, and a really good family bluegrass group. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet