As Christmas Approaches . . .

Are we already at the end of November?! Only three weeks of lessons left before the Christmas recital? Wow!

   Holiday prep is in full swing in the studio. Students have been diligently working on their Christmas pieces and their second piece they will play.

   Next week I'll pull out all the Christmas games I've been saving till now. ;)

 
   Just for fun. Christmas is not about the presents, the decorations, or even the wonderful songs we save for that one month -- but those are nice accessories to my favourite holiday!

   Also, parents, please encourage your children to perform for others in the next few weeks! This year, students have really been racking up the points under "Word Whizzes" and "Practice Champions." (And claiming their prizes too! I think nearly everyone has claimed a prize at least once, and some are getting close to their second prize.) But as for "Performance Stars" . . . just take a look at the brag wall.
   Hmm. Any chance we can get the wall properly balanced? ;)

   Personally, I've had a couple interesting experiences in my own musical life recently. Last weekend, I got to "jam" with a bluegrass trio -- twice. On Saturday, it was at a get-together where songbooks were passed around after supper, and we had a delightful time of singing hymns. Then we did it again at church the next day. Then on Wednesday, I played piano for a hymn sing at a seniour's lodge. All were good experiences. I hope someday my students will also be able to enjoy sharing their music in a variety of healthy settings.

   One more thing: I know my readership is small, but Parkland Music Teacher's Association (of which I am a member) is looking for an administrator. Without it, Festival may not happen this year. This would be a huge loss to our community if it doesn't! Parkland Music Festival provides a valuable opportunity each year for students to perform, gain input from the country's best musicians, and occasionally receive small scholarships to put towards lessons and books. If you know anyone who would be interested, please direct them to this page. Hopefully we can keep the Festival going for years to come. On that note, parents with students who are in their second year or higher (playing at least out of RCM's Prep A book), take a look at the Festival website and consider if this is something you'd be interested in for your child this spring. Assuming we can make it happen, of course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet