Book Review: The Soul of the Music

 I got this book as a present from my teacher around year ago. I finished reading it several months ago. (Not because it's a thick, intimidating read. It has more to do with trying to read 4 or 5 books at once with an average reading time of 5-10 minutes a day.) Today, you finally get to hear about how much I loved it!


   As you can see from the photo, the title is The Soul of the Music: Gifts from the Golden Age of Piano, and it's written by Edwin Gnandt (who happens to be a Canadian, which gives the book an even better rating in my mind 😄). In six chapters, Gnandt contrasts the approach of the Romantic era and our own in four different areas of pianism: singing tone/legato style, composition and improvisation, interpretation, technical prowess, and performance/competition culture. Though it took me months to read, that was my own fault; the book is slim and no one is going to lose their train of thought before getting to the end. With the technical details covered, let's move on to why I love the book. 

   My first reason is that Gnandt stirs up the inner artist in the reader. This book isn't just a dry essay on differences in style. In it, he calls to light the strengths and weaknesses of both eras. Most importantly, he makes the reader think about how their own approach might be strengthened, how the pianist may make their own music more alive, more expressive, more beautiful, more meaningful. 

   My second reason is the Discussion Questions at the end of the book. I haven't found anyone to discuss them with yet, but I love it when books have questions that make you think! 

   But my absolute favourite thing about the book was the surprise I found the first time I opened it. On the very first page -- before the Introduction, before the Table of Contents, even -- was the title, "Jesus Tells the Parable of the Talents." If you've ever read my blog before, you know I am a Christian. So for me, that was like expecting a birthday present and finding a diamond. It was also a reminder that my music isn't just meant for me -- it is a gift from my Creator, meant to be used for His glory and for the good of others He places in my life. I continued to be pleasantly surprised throughout. For instance, this statement on page 34: "In this sense, certain pianists and composers of the Golden Age thought that music should draw people closer to their creator [sic.], not in some ecstatic, esoteric manner but simply by reminding listeners of the divine." (As you keep reading down the page, you discover that he refers to many composers' Christian or Christian-based faith.) Or the Discussion Question 3 on page 71: "Are there pianists today who sincerely approach music as a calling and a ministry?" Bravo, Mr. Gnandt, for being bold enough to remind us that music is about God as well as about us! 

   There you have it: my three reasons why I love The Soul of the Music. Highly recommended for any serious pianists!
 (Disclaimer: Although I emphasize the spiritual mentions because those are my favourite parts, the book is geared towards all pianists, religious or not. I don't believe that a pianist who isn't particularly religious would find the references of faith to be offensive or too "in-your-face." I think any pianist, regardless of personal belief, would find this book an inspiring read.) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet