The Christian Musician: The Language of Music

A couple weeks back, I decided that I wanted to listen to the soundtrack from The Prince of Egypt. Now, it is true that I've watched the movie . . . more than once or twice. :) But as I was listening to the soundtrack, I was struck by the power of the music. I could picture, without any dialogue, exactly what was happening at nearly every turn. The river, the crocodiles, the palace -- it was all vividly pictured through the music.

   What does this have to do with being a Christian musician? A lot, actually. Because there is a debate going on with Christians everywhere about what kind of music should be listened to. And there's something being overlooked about music that is important to understand if we are to resolve this debate.

   Music is a language.

   That means that the entire goal of music -- for a musician -- is to communicate. In fact, take any art form, and the goal is to communicate something. And a true artist has something specific he/she wants to communicate to the audience.

   All right, good so far. We all agree. Now here comes the tough part. It's easy to see how the words to a song communicate. But the words aren't the only part that communicate. The music itself is communicating. While the words send a distinct message to your brain, the music meanwhile is sending a message to your soul and spirit. That's why we can have music that lasts for hours and has no words at all.
   So by now, you're fully expecting me to come out and tell you what kind of music I think you should listen to, right?

   Well . . . sorry to crash your expectations. :) Nope. I just want you to think about that side of the story. Because I think it's an important side that gets too easily overlooked.

   Is there Scripture to go with this whole idea? Sure there is. I can think of one right off the top of my head.

  "Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played?For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare for battle?" 1 Corinthians 14:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet