Favourite (and Least Favourite!) Method Books

It's not secret that I haven't been teaching long. And thus I haven't had as much experience trying out different piano method books as other teachers. But I'd like to give a brief review on three method books I have tried, and also give you a sneak peak at a series I'd like to try out this fall. (To sign up for fall lessons, click here.)

   Hope it's mildly helpful!


Bastien

   Definitely my least favourite series I've used so far. It's also the one I've used most, which may explain why I've had enough time to discover all the flaws! Don't get me wrong; it does the job. I just find that the student is given too much information ('here's ten new notes for you to learn on the staff, when you just learned the staff last week') or too little information ('by the way, the sharps are supposed to go on the same line as their corresponding notes'). Also it's quite dry. While the label on the back says it's for 7 - 10 year olds, I will not use this again with a 7-year-old. The graphics are kid-friendly, but the way the information is presented is better suited to at least a 9-year-old. I may keep using this with beginners who are 9 or 10, or students who already started with this . . . or I might find a different method book.

Alfred's Easiest Ever Piano

   My very first student brought this book with her to her first lesson. She was five years old, and the book was perfect for her. I really liked teaching out of it. The student became very familiar with the keyboard, learning one note at a time, even before the staff was presented. Sadly, her family moved away before we completed the book. I would gladly try this one out again.

Wunderkeys Primer

   This book is becoming a fast hit among piano teachers everywhere, and with good reason! (They also have a preschool series, which I will definitely try should I get any preschoolers.) Concepts are presented in a comic strip format, following the adventures of four animal characters. Also, they are presented gradually, and in 'bite-sized pieces.' There's only one down side about this book: the price. Naturally. I guess everything with quality comes with a price tag attached. Also they only have primer books, so a new method book would be needed for Level 1. These books are definitely an innovation in the music world, and a very good one at that.

Next Year: Piano Safari!

   In the coming school year, I'd like to try Piano Safari. Another teacher showed me those books, and also videos of her students who were learning from those books. I could hardly believe it: her first year students were playing real music. Not immature tunes with absolutely no room for expression. So, returning students, be prepared for a surprise. I'm not going to switch everyone over to this right away, but I am going to try it on a couple of students who could use more real music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet