Party Time!

Over a week ago, I did something that was brand-new for me . . .

   I hosted a piano party!

   What is a piano party? Well, according to the post-party definition, it's a lot of fun. :)

   We started out in the late afternoon. Once everyone had showed up and settled themselves comfortably around our basement on couches and camp chairs, students took turns performing one piece each. There was no program. Instead I was deciding the order randomly by drawing everyone's name from a jar. Also, because the students had picked out their own pieces, I had no clue what they were playing until their name was called!

   After that, my folks helped me out by grilling the burgers and hot dogs and setting up the table while I directed games. I had the challenge of finding games that were music-related, but that non-musical siblings could participate in as well. We started off with a scavenger hunt -- with a twist. Along with every clue was hidden a music symbol. Though I'm not sure the stampeding children paid any attention to the music symbols. At any rate, it kept them occupied for a good half hour.
 Found the clue!
 Gathered around to read the clue. 
   And the treasure . . . freezies and candy!

   I had other great ideas for games. Unfortunately, there was one factor I hadn't counted on.

   Rain.

   It started during the scavenger hunt, but it was only a light sprinkle, and I hoped with all my heart that it would go away during supper.
Eating supper . . . indoors . . . instead of outdoors as had been planned. 
   It didn't go away. It got worse. 

   Now I had a problem. Two of them, actually. One was that I now had a dozen children indoors with the only possible activity being Musical Chairs. The other was that I had previously filled up 60 water balloons. Outdoors, there was a music staff drawn with chalk that was quickly being erased. That had been the target for the water balloons, with the idea being to hit specific notes and erase them with the water balloons. Scrap that idea. But what was I to do with the water balloons? 

   We played a couple lively rounds of Musical Chairs. Then I decided to ask them a dangerous question: 

   "Is anyone interested in going outside and throwing water balloons at a target in the rain?"

   What answer do you think I got?

   I wish I had gotten a photo of the ensuing water fight. It was very entertaining to stand in the safe and dry indoors, watching the children running around getting soaked from above and every other direction. Fortunately for me, the moms found it amusing as well. 

   Wet children aside, the party was a success. It was good to re-connect with my piano families, and everyone had a good time. Hopefully I'll be able to do it again next year. And if I do, I will know to plan for rain. :) 

   By the way, Parkland Music Teacher's Association has a booth at the Information Night at the Tri-Leisure Centre in Spruce Grove this upcoming Thursday. I'm planning on being there, in case anyone reading this is interested. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet