Thoughts for the New Year

A friend of mine shared this music video with me. It's not a style I normally listen to (I'm the kind who will usually listen to hymns with orchestral accompaniment or, of course, the classical masters), but the lyrics are so powerful that I thought I'd share it with you. It's something I want to keep in mind going into 2020 -- an eternal perspective bigger than myself. I also love the call-and-response format. Plus the people who shot it did an amazing job with the video. 

   Anyways, I'll let you listen to it, and let the words speak for themselves. 


Recap on December

   I realize I haven't written about how the student recital went. Well, I can sum it up in two sentences:

   It was good. Everybody made mistakes.

   *laughs* Did I make anybody do a double take there? 

   Yes, I really did write that, and yes, I am serious. Here's why: Everybody made mistakes, but not one of my students let their mistakes derail their performance. Every single one of my students, from the five-year-old to the eighteen-year-old, did the hardest thing in the world to do in performance: they kept going. Not one of them burst into tears, threw back their head and shouted "Noooo!", or stopped and stared at the piano in blank confusion. 

   Can you tell I'm, maybe, just a little bit pleased with them?! 

   So, piano parents, go congratulate your kids on a job well done! 

   Myself? I'm still working towards my Associate Diploma. Music History 3 happened two weeks ago. (I have a whole boatload of interesting thoughts from what I learned to share with you when I have some more time to blog. *optimistically ignores planner full of things to do*) Next are the Harmony & Counterpoint and the Analysis. They're as intense as they sound. Needless to say, I'm enjoying my Christmas break. :) 

Happy New Year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet