Update on Musical Theatre Month!

 Lights, curtains, music!

   No? 

   Musical Theatre Month was not quite as theatre-ish as I would have liked. But it still was successful. After all, the goal was to teach students a song from a musical to learn by ear. And I'm pleased to say, everyone did that!

   And I thought I was going to have the time to put together a video clip to show off all my students playing their pieces to post here. Sadly, I don't have time. ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ญI'll show you my wall dรฉcor instead.


   Do-Re-Mi from The Sound of Music was definitely the most popular song. Which was good for the beginners who picked it, because it's an easy song to learn by ear. After all, in it Maria is teaching the von Trap children how to sing, which uses a lot of ear! Actually, when I was in MYC, we used to sing it to practice our solfege. I teach solfege using scale numbers instead of the syllables, but the song is a good tool to keep in mind. 





   Beauty and the Beast, not surprisingly, was also a popular choice for which musical to choose from. Because of that, I got to learn a new song. One of my students introduced me to the absolutely beautiful song from the live-action movie, "How Does a Moment Last Forever?". It's a new favourite on my list of movie music! I listened to it over and over, on the pretext of needing to know what it sounded like so I could teach it. :) 


   And I was super, super thrilled that someone picked a Prince of Egypt song! (Prince of Egypt is the best. Did I mention that already? Like in a previous post or something?๐Ÿ˜€) This student picked the poignant song from the climax of the movie, "When You Believe." Can I tell you, it is so much fun to teach one of my favourite pieces to a student?! 

   OK, so in all honesty ... when it comes to music, I have a lot of favourites. Great hymns like Be Thou My Vision and Praise to the Lord. Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms. And the songs from the above musicals. Just to name a few. 

   Did I learn any songs by ear? No, sorry! But I have learned to play "Look at Your Life Through Heaven's Eyes" and "The Plagues" from Prince of Egypt. Unlike my students, though, I have the sheet music. 

My studies

   The end is in sight! Just a little over two months, and Lord willing, I will be done my very last theory exam! I'm currently working on ARCT Analysis. It's hard. 

Spring Recital

   What...?! I have to plan one of those? 

   Yes, I guess I do. And I'm clueless. Another YouTube recital, like last spring? Or a Zoom recital like I did for Christmas? Not sure yet. If it were up to me, I'd just have a normal recital. But I'm not sure that will be allowed yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet