Should I Sign My Child Up for Piano Lessons?


So the school year's here! That's great news for teachers. But for parents -- well, you all are busy people. And you want to choose carefully what activities to sign your child up for, knowing there's only twenty-four hours in a day and only so much you can do in twenty-four hours. So the question: Is piano right for my child?

   Let me share some of my thoughts on the subject! Because yes, I agree, piano isn't for everyone. Just ask my brothers. ;) Here's some questions you can ask yourself.


  1. Does my child have talent? You probably won't know this one before they take piano lessons. However, if it's a matter of deciding whether to return to lessons or not, this question should be a key factor. You could always do what my parents did. They had each of us take piano for three years, and then worked with us to make a decision from there. (Like I hinted at above, my two younger brothers figured out that fixing bikes and building things with Dad was more up their alley than music lessons. And that is perfectly all right!) 
  2. Does my child love listening to piano music? If they love to listen to it, that’s a pretty good indication that eventually they will love to play it. I was one of those children – I loved to listen to a good performance, but hated to practice myself. Eventually the spark caught. A love for music is the first step in loving to make music. 
  3. How many other activities is my child involved in? Let me be completely truthful with you: If your child has piano on Monday, soccer on Tuesday, ballet on Wednesday, drama on Thursday, and track and field on Friday – everybody's going to end up frustrated. Understand your limits and your child's limits. They'll be much happier and progress much better in whatever they're doing if they don't feel overloaded with extracurricular. 
  4. Do I support my child’s music? Or, in other words, what do you think is important for your child to be involved in? Once you’ve answered the questions about talent and potential enjoyment, it’s time to prioritize. If you’re more excited about their hockey games than their piano recitals, they will know. 
   Speaking of starting the school year, next week I'm really excited to share with you all the fun things that happened the first week of lessons! I'm also hoping to share some plans and ideas I have for this month and school year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet