Parkland Music Festival 2019!

Congratulations to this year's participants in Parkland Music Festival!

   Parkland Music Festival, like other festivals throughout Alberta and Canada, is an opportunity for students to perform, compete, and receive feedback from a highly qualified musician. The Festival started off on the 11th, and ran till the 16th, with the Gala concert on Sunday the 17th.

   On Wednesday the 13th, I cleared my calendar and headed to the church where Festival was being held to watch my students compete in their appropriate class.



   They did really well! And I had a lot of fun listening to the adjudicator, Dr. Leanne Regher. Honestly, I could have sat there all day and listened to her teach. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible.   :( As it was, arriving 15 minutes early gave me the advantage of listening in to the class ahead of my students.

   The next day, those same students came for their weekly lesson. Between one going out and one coming in, a very pleased piano parent told me, "The people from the Festival just called, and my daughter is going to play at the Gala concert!"

   Need I say that I was more than a little excited?

   This year, I also accompanied a vocalist at Festival. She picked "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. It was a very fun piece to do. Her class was on Saturday morning, and it went well. Other than the piano was a bit ... loud. Normally, I like loud pianos. But I was worried about drowning the vocalist out, as I had heard a previous accompaniest do only minutes before. I needn't have worried.

   On Sunday evening, I went to the Gala concert to hear my student perform and watch her receive her scholarship.


   The concert was good, but I seem to remember hearing better concerts in the years when I was still a competing student. Or maybe it's that I was always too nervous about performing myself to be critiquing others back then. ;)

   Anyways, the short and long of it is, I am very pleased with how my students did. I think that Parkland Music Festival 2019 was a success for my students and myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet