Score Study and Recital Prep

Wow! I just realized that I haven't written a studio update all month! It's been busy, closing up another season end. It's hard to believe that our spring recital is tomorrow, and there's only one more week of lessons till summer break!

   This last week, we focused on recital preparation. I like to have my students rehearse what they will do at a recital at their lesson before the actual thing. I know that, for myself, I am way more confident when I know exactly what's expected for me to do!
   As usual, a TPT game made learning fun for beginners! Modelled after a Memory game, this game covers six things you should do before you play your piece, and gave us a good chance to talk over each step.

   The week before, I used the recital pieces to teach a bit of theory -- subtly. :)
   Beginners in Buddy Lessons had fun comparing ways that their pieces were different and ways they were the same. We found out that two pieces that are very different when you play them can still have a lot in common! 

   Second-year students used a more advanced Score Study sheet (also from TPT) to look at things like time signatures, key signatures, and tempo markings. 

   And the intermediate students got to go more in-depth with sticky notes to help them hunt for sequences, primary chords, accidentals, and expression! (Yes, the specialty labels are TPT too!) 

New Rates! 

   Please see my Rates & Contact page for new rates in the next school year. 

   Next week, either a recital update or a recap on this last school year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet