Book Review: Musical Discernment

 I could have jumped up and down with excitement.

   But doing that in front of people outside my family seemed a little undignified! 

   What was I so excited over? Let me start from the beginning. 

   A few years ago, I was into a little bit of beta reading and copy editing. It's a neat little exchange -- you get a free sneak peak at someone else's book or magazine (free is great, right?!), and the authour/editor gets your feedback. This was when a lady from church approached me and asked if I would give her some feedback on her book. The book was about music -- Christian music, my favourite topic :) -- and I wasn't working on anyone else's projects, so I said yes. 

   Not far into the book, I was absorbed. I'd grown up in a home where we didn't really "do" Christian rock, and the use of contemporary music had gradually diminished. But this book gave arguments -- solid arguments -- that cemented my convictions and honed my understanding and discernment. The arguments came from history, science, sociological studies, and most importantly, Scripture. 

   The other books I'd beta read up to that point had been mostly fluff. This was something I could full-heartedly recommend, without any reservations. 

   So, without further ado ...


   Musical Discernment, by Elizabeth King! 

   In fact, since the day I started reading it, every time I've had a discussion on the topic with other Christians, I've said something to the effect of, "When Mrs. King finishes her book, I really recommend that you read it!" Now it's finished. It's published. And you can buy it on Amazon right here! 

   Regardless of where you stand in the area of music, if you're a Christian, especially a Christian musician, I say: You should read this book. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet