What I've Gained

"There's no great loss without some small gain." I'm not sure who said it, but I first read this quote in a Little House on the Prairie book. Looking back over the last nine months, I can say that what I've gained is at least equal to what I lost.

    I will be honest: my first half of the school year, I focused on what I'd lost (most of last year's students). Though I knew that COVID-19 was to blame, and that other teachers were undoubtedly going through the same, I still felt like a failure. That was in spite of the fact that, when one of my students did not finish an assignment on time, I told her something along the lines of not having failed as long as we learn from our mistakes. (How is it that we can tell everyone but ourselves the truth?) 

   But now I can focus on what I've gained. Let me share with you some of the new things this school year brought that proved to be gains:

  • My first preschool student! This is a niche I've wanted to tap into, well, almost since I began teaching. Before, I was trying to persuade parents that it was fine to put their preschooler in piano because the experts said it was good. Now I know -- piano for preschoolers really works. And it's incredibly fun. And I am convinced, after teaching a preschooler, that piano at that age will definitely help their learning in general. 
  • My first online-only students! Big news, everyone: Online lessons really work. They can still be productive and fun. These students learned both theory and how to play, enjoyed playing piano games, and did great! I had thought about the potential for online lessons before the pandemic, but COVID-19 gave me the push I needed to get started on that. (So if you're in Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick, you name it -- you can sign up for online lessons.. Just saying. ;)
  • All the other students who joined me for the first time this year, as well as those who came back from last year. Each of them adds something special to my life! 
  • My first online recitals! That was a huge milestone for me, not to mention a learning curve. But, while I still think in-person recitals are more fun, I'm pleased with the way our online recitals turned out. 
  • My first lessons taught outdoors. (It was the restrictions' fault. See? Even restrictions can turn into a creativity exercise.) Now that was a blast! I might make it a rite of spring for my in-person students. (Thanks to Joanne Peterson from PMTA for loaning me the extra keyboard, not shown in photos. I am very grateful for you, Joanne!)

  • Disclaimer on middle photo: The two girls shown are sisters. Just so nobody flips on me for the fact that my students are not social distancing. And no, I'm not teaching in-person groups either. We're good! 

  • My first time teaching using... a YouTube tutorial. Yes, I did. Part of me still can't believe I did that. But what else do you do when a beginner who doesn't read music yet wants to learn "How Far I'll Go"? Besides which, YouTube tutorials are here to stay, and since I don't want to be replaced by them, I might as well learn to incorporate them into a playing-by-ear/keyboard awareness lesson. 
  • A life lesson that applies to all things: When the going gets tough, don't quit. God has hidden blessings in store for you, wrapped in the disguise of hardship. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet