February Update: Piano Guys, Frozen, and Arranging

I never cared for the song, "Let It Go."

   When I watched Frozen for the first time, the selfishness, rebellion, and complete lack of self-control in Queen Elsa got under my skin. Then I discovered that every girl everywhere was singing that song, and that made me dislike it even more. I commented to someone, "That song is so popular, it's annoying."

   Then, you might rightly ask, why on earth would I use that song as a teaching tool?

   Good question. For one thing, it's the song every one knows. Even me. I mean, I'm clueless when it comes to what's trendy. Always have been, probably always will be. Just ask my mom, who has to *coughs* help me update my wardrobe every... five years. 😆

   For another thing, the Piano Guys have a video (that you've probably seen if you have watched anything from them) that combines "Let It Go" with Vivaldi's "Winter." 

   Now, it's true that this is not a unique video in their repertoire. But, I have learned that my students might not necessarily know The Jungle Book or Kung-Fu Panda or Indiana Jones. (Actually, I haven't watched Kung-Fu Panda or Indiana Jones either. But I'm a little more familiar with classical music than my students. ;) And if you're trying to point out, "Look at what these guys did with classical crossover!", it's a little harder to do if your student isn't familiar with the music. 

   So, yes. February's Theme Month was Piano Guys Month. In which the above video took centre stage to make a point: Classical Music can be cool. So cool, it's Frozen. 😄

   Most of my students are working on making their own Piano Guys-style arrangement. Sort of. 


   I gave them each a Classical piece, abridged for their level. Then I had them pick out a Disney song to go with that Classical piece. I made a worksheet with questions to help them choose something appropriate -- that way we didn't end up with Grieg's "Morning Song" and Tangled's "I Have a Dream" mashed together. Now, they are slowly working on blending the two in their own arrangement. I gave them staff paper with a suggested outline -- a line of Classical here, a line of Disney there, and such. Some of the students who have been taking lessons longer will be adding chords later. 

   One of my students is doing a hymn with her Classical piece, instead of a Disney song. I like that. 

   Some of my students are entering Parkland Music Festival this spring, and I didn't want to give these hard-working performers an extra workload. Also there were a couple of students who just started, and I didn't think it would work to get them doing arrangements right off the bat! So we've been doing smaller themed activities. Like listening worksheets with the video, improv based on short lines of Classical music, and an ear-training game.

   In this game, students move towards "The Great Wall of China" (really the highest C on the piano) by correctly identifying what I play to them. For some students, it was a matter of identifying whether the notes were moving higher or lower or staying the same. For others, they had to identify small intervals. This adapted really well to online lessons.  I also had made event cards that would either cause them to miss a turn, or give them an extra step up the piano (each C was one step, with them starting on the lowest C).

   By the way, before I sign off, I noticed on my blog that one of my pages (or maybe two of them) has suddenly become hard to find. Hopefully this hasn't been a problem for anyone. The page, "How I Found Lasting Peace" can be found by clicking here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet