Singing Truth Instead of Disney

 I'll be honest: I have a fascination with Disney music.

   And, as a piano teacher to mostly small children, that can be a good thing. Especially for someone like me, who honestly has no idea what's hot in the music world at any given time. Classical is foreign to small ears -- and mostly out of their playing ability anyways. Disney songs provide a bridge between their world and mine. 

   So, what's so bad about that? 

   Every song, every piece of music, conveys a message, regardless of whether it has words or not. Where there are words, the message becomes crystal clear. If the message aligns with God's truth, great. 

   But when it doesn't... do we even notice?


Photo by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash

   I'm afraid that even the Christian subculture is guilty of not using enough discernment in this area. 

   Worse yet, I know that I have been guilty. 

   I took some of my favourite Disney songs one day -- some of which came from movies I either haven't watched, or won't watch again -- and analyzed the underlying, basic message about each. Then I held it up to God's truth. Guess what? Not all Disney songs are chock-full of anti-Biblical lies! But, even where a song conveys truth, without Christ, the full truth in all its richness can never be fully conveyed. So, here's a list with a few examples of Disney songs, and suggested Christian replacements. (Not that it would always be wrong to sing a Disney song, and not that I've been totally successful at replacing these songs with their corresponding hymns. My point is that the replacement suggestions I've made are far more worthwhile to sing.) Most of these are songs I personally like -- with the exception of "Let It Go" and "Show Yourself." I included those ones because of their popularity.

  • "Belle" is about desiring adventure. Instead I'll sing "Make Me a Blessing."
  • "Beauty and the Beast" is about human romantic relationships. Instead I'll sing "The Wonder of it All."
  • "I Have a Dream" says that what I dream of doing is more important than who I am in character. Instead I'll sing, "To Be God's People."
  • "Let It Go" is about having my way. Instead I'll sing, "I Surrender All."
  • "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is a plea from one sister to another for a relationship. Instead I'll sing, "We Are God's People."
  • "For the First Time In Forever" is about hope. Instead I'll sing, "On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand."
  • "How Far I'll Go" is about wanting to explore and go new places. Instead I'll sing, "Higher Ground."
  • "Show Yourself" is about finding your identity through spirit contact (and that, morally, should be a no-brainer for the Christian!). Instead I'll sing, "Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart."
  • "Do The Next Right Thing" is about persevering despite pain. Instead I'll sing, "Day By Day."
  • "For the Dancing and the Dreaming" is... ok, not a Disney song! πŸ˜„It's also probably my favourite (and is irrelevant to teaching, since 8-year-olds these days know nothing of HTTYD 😞). But, it's about satisfaction in romantic love. Instead I'll sing, "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus."
   What are some of your favourite songs reflecting God's truth? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet