Heads-Up: Watch for Celebration Series Sales soon



 I remember in Grade 6 piano, choosing my exam pieces. And then, after the decisions were made, my teacher informed me that my Grade 6 book was out-of-date and one of the pieces we'd picked was no longer on the Syllabus. No matter. She put it down as a Teacher's Choice, and on we went.

   Later, as a music teacher, I was at Innovations Music, buying books, and the person who served me was complaining about the fact that RCM changed their syllabus and thus their books every 5 years, and then they always wound up with outdated books that no one would buy. They had a shelf labelled "50% off" of just such books. 

   The point?

   It's not to boycott Celebration Series. Not only is that impossible for serious music studies if you're going with the Royal Conservatory of Music, but it's also highly impractical. I mean, I did think over the last two years, "Why do I need to make my students' parents buy these books if their kids aren't going to be serious about piano? It's a waste of money."

   Wrong, Sarah. Most parents, with the exception of a very dedicated few, will only buy the music for their children that I tell them to. If I stick with just the method books and whatever my students happen to pick up on their own, we'll be using a very small, limited range of music. If we use Celebration Series, however, we can explore all kinds of music, from Baroque (maybe your budding pianist will discover that they like Bach!) to modern. 

   However, Celebration Series books are expensive. And that's the point. Unless you're taking an exam, you don't need a brand new Celebration Series book. You can use one you found in the thrift store from the 1990s! 

   And, even better, it's almost time for Celebration Series to be releasing their newest edition. So watch your music stores, parents. You might be able to find books on sale in a few months (around fall or so).

   For your convenience, here's a handy chart to figure out which level of Celebration Series to snap up. (Their system is different than method books.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet