My Story: Church Pianist (Part 1)

 As you may recall, Mrs. A (not her real initial, first or last) was my piano teacher for a good chunk of my preteen and teen years. She was and is also our church's main pianist. Therefore, you can imagine, church music was an important part of her lesson planning. The first time she made arrangements for me and a couple of her other students to each take a number in Sunday's service was probably when I was about 11 (give or take).

   This was a good thing, because taking a melody and arranging a left-hand accompaniment for it is not a required course in the Royal Conservatory of Music. However, it is an important skill, one I may not have learned well under my other teachers, despite their impressive credentials and skill.

   When Mr. B and his wife moved away, Mrs. A was left as the only pianist. Several young people in my peers group were qualified pianists. Who would fill Mr. B's spot? As it turns out, we all did. Over time, everybody who wanted to got a chance to play for church. And I discovered that I quite enjoyed it. For years, I had prayed and asked God to use the gift of music He had given me for His glory. Now, at last, that prayer was being answered in part! 

   However, I discovered very quickly that a church pianist has to be flexible, especially one blessed enough to be in a congregations where about half the group is actually good at singing. I like to play hard and fast. Many times I've started an intro at an allegro, only to discover as soon as everyone started singing that andante was the preferred speed! There's a level of give and take, of listening and responding. 

   There's another way that you have to be flexible when playing for church.

   Sometimes I have gotten the hymn lists with a week's notice. 

   Sometimes I didn't know I was playing until I arrived! 

   And yes, I've gotten everything in between too. The Friday morning list. The late-Saturday-night list. The go-ahead to pick out a list myself. (That's actually fun. I enjoy being given a topic and the freedom to browse the hymnal and choose.) 

   When I started, I had no idea where I would wind up using my church-playing skills. But God certainly did. And He had prepared me for what He had in store. 



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet