Pianos: What definitely not to buy!!!

 So....

   I think we need to talk about the elephant in the room.

   If you're going to sign your child up for piano lessons, they'll need a piano.

   Pianos come in many shapes and sizes. And they are expensive. 

   Let's talk about going piano shopping. 

   The whole reason I'm writing this post is because I'm realizing that several of my students are under-equipped. Also, an instrument that worked just fine for them in their first year is not quite cutting it in their second year. Of course, a parent starting out doesn't want to spend $9,000.00 on a brand new upright. You don't have to. But there's very little point in getting an instrument that you'll just have to replace next year. 

In A Nutshell

   First, you want to make sure you get something that has 88 keys. Less than that is very much short-term planning. Second, you want something that has weighted keys. This means that, when your child plays it, it will sound louder when they hit it with their full force, and quieter when they gently brush the keys with their finger tips. Third, you want something with a pedal. Fourth, I'd really rather see my students play an old acoustic (provided it's in tune, of course) with a tinny sound than a digital piano, any day. An acoustic will give them things in tone that no digital piano ever will. 

   Let's take a deeper look at some pianos out there, starting with the worst options. (I'm going to skip reviewing grand pianos, because 1) I've never been fortunate enough to own a grand, and 2) I'm assuming most of you, like me, couldn't afford a grand if you wanted it.)

   Note on images: Most of these are images of actual products that are for sale, so I will try to include the links to the sites. Please note that I am not necessarily recommending you purchase this instrument. I am only trying to be honest about where I got these photos from. 

Short Keyboards

   Just don't. 

   Short keyboards have 61 keys, not 88. They do not have weighted keys, which makes the keys a) unresponsive to touch -- it's impossible to teach music dynamics and tone without key touch -- and b) also makes the keys lighter (surprise, surprise!), which may sound like a plus, but it isn't. If they're used to playing on one of these, the keys on an acoustic are going to feel really heavy to them when they play on a real piano. They usually don't have a pedal, so students can't practice pedaling. Finally, as they're on a stand, they're naturally more flimsy. I'll admit, I've never heard of anyone dropping a keyboard off the stand while playing. I've never even done it myself, although I have given many keyboards some vigorous shakings. 

   Now, there are keyboards that are full length and have more options, and these might be an option for those who just want to put their child in piano for a year or two to see how they like it, and who -- very important -- are not planning on encouraging their child in Festival participation. 






Digital Pianos

   A digital piano works the same as a keyboard, but there's some crucial differences that make a digital piano a way better option than a keyboard. First, they're always full length. Second, they have weighted keys. Very important! A student can learn to practice dynamics and tone on a digital piano -- not as well as on an acoustic, but it's possible. They are usually mounted on a cabinet, making them look more like acoustic pianos, as well as being sturdier. And they also usually have all three pedals. Not that the middle pedal is ever used in piano instruction. Technically, the damper pedal (far right) is necessary, the una corde pedal (far left) is useful at times, and the middle pedal is nice but 100% optional. 

   Digital pianos are also usually cheaper than acoustics, making them an excellent option for parents who are just starting their children on lessons, but want them to do well for as long as they take piano. Or parents who are interested in having their child compete in music festivals. Also, obviously, you'll never need to tune a digital piano. Another nice feature that exists in both digital pianos and keyboards is the ability to plug in headphones, so your child can practice while the baby naps and you don't have to worry about either of them. 😆

   That being said, the difference between a digital piano and an acoustic is the difference between one of those battery-operated stuffed toys and a real pet. Sure, the robotic cat won't shed, scratch your furniture, or leave you with a litterbox to clean... but it will never actually be alive. In the same way, a digital piano will never give you the range of tonality, expression, and colour that real wood hitting real metal strings will give you. 

Acoustic Pianos: The Short Kind 



   Remember what I said above: the advantage of an acoustic piano over a digital piano is the advantage of tone. The sound is real and alive. It may be one of those things that leaves you feeling blank when I try to explain it, but believe me, tone is crucial. Tone is what makes the difference between your child plunking on keys and your child creating music. 

   With that being said, short acoustic pianos may provide some advantage over digital pianos. They are, after all, real wooden hammers hitting real metal strings. But those metal strings are, by necessity, short, because the cabinet housing them is short. (Whoda thunk it?!) This means that short acoustic pianos often have poor tone quality. 

   Actually, in all honesty, I've never played a short piano that had a tone that I enjoyed. They all sounded tinny. 

      Now, to be fair, the very fact that short pianos have poorer tone can provide an interesting challenge. In my teens, one of my friend's families had a short piano, and I used to deliberately go play it whenever I had an exam coming up, just to get myself used to adapting to whatever I might encounter in the exam room. I had read somewhere that "a good pianist can make a bad piano sound good." So I went and tested the theory. I don't know how successful I was, but I think it gave me good experience, if nothing else! 

   I'd way rather see my students with a short acoustic piano than an electric keyboard. But if it's a toss-up between a good-quality digital piano and a short acoustic piano... I'd be hard pressed to give you advice. In that case, I'd almost say you might as well go for convenience. 

Acoustic Pianos: The Tall Kind

   I'd say, once a child hits Royal Conservatory of Music's Level 2 books, an acoustic piano is a must. And no question about it, your child will be at a real disadvantage if they attempt to take a piano exam with only a digital instrument to practice on. Even for participation in festivals, they can do all right with a good-quality digital piano, but I think they'll do better if they have an acoustic to practice on. It's never too early in your child's music education to get an acoustic. And, as you probably guessed from my comments above, the taller you can get 'em, the better. It doesn't have to be brand-new. (Actually, what I've learned in the last year is that brand-new pianos need to be tuned more often. There are advantages to new pianos, for sure. But just know that you will have to call the tuner at least twice and maybe three times in the first year if you purchase a brand new piano.) Look around for a second-hand piano, preferably something in relatively good condition that won't cost you half a fortune to tune and repair. If you can avoid piano repairs, by all means, do. 

   I'm very happy with my new Essex piano. But, for the entire time I was studying music, I practiced on a very old Webber. It worked just fine for me then. Currently, the soundboard on that piano is cracked. It still functions, but isn't a suitable instrument for teaching. But I sincerely loved that piano. It may not have had the greatest tone, but it could produce a very wide range of dynamics quite easily. It was super responsive to my touch. 

   Yes, acoustic pianos need to be tuned, at least once a year. Yes, it will help your piano along if you keep tabs on the humidity level. Yes, they are generally more expensive to purchase. But it's worth it. Again, the sound that a good acoustic will give you is a sound that's real and alive. And while slight differences in tone and touch might not seem like a big deal to you, they'll make a big difference in your child's development as an artist. Because you as parents know -- there's no point teaching your child to simply make noise. They can do that well enough on their own! The real heartbeat of music, the thing that draws all of us in towards it, is in the fact that it is an art, not a science or a formula. And half of that art lies in the instrument itself. Your child cannot learn to unlock it if they have a poor-quality instrument. They will never get past simply making noise. 

Summary

   My top recommendations are to get a good digital piano or a tall acoustic. If you can find one that's second-hand and is working decently, even better, because you'll save money (and keep someone's beloved instrument out of a landfill -- trust me, no pianist wants to throw their instrument away). Avoid keyboards at all costs. Short acoustics are better than keyboards, but if you can get a tall acoustic instead, definitely do so. Above all, think long-term when purchasing. The more talent you see in your child, the more you should take piano shopping seriously, particularly if you see festival competitions or piano exams in their future. And if you still feel lost, talk to piano tuners and people who run music stores that sell pianos (either digital or acoustic). They can help you make an informed decision. And that's all I have to say on that subject. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet