This one is a really quick thought

 Today's post won't be long. 

   But recently I was watching a video by Brylan Riggs. If you're a Christian, and you're serious about pleasing the Lord, I really encourage you to check out Brylan's videos. I'll admit, this is the only one I've actually sat down and watched start to finish, but it was good, and from the looks of other video titles by him and what I've heard from others, I think he has some really good things to say about discernment in music, the "Christian" music industry and its pitfalls, and other cultural questions. 

   Musical discernment aside -- which, as you probably know, I think is very important in more ways than one -- his video made me think... about myself.

   Am I truly making music to God's glory?

   Or am I looking for the spotlight for myself?

   I hope the answer is #1. 

   But conceit is a sneaky monster, and I like to be applauded. I feel great when someone leaves a nice comment on my YouTube channel. Who doesn't? 

   And yet, if it's not for God's glory, then it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's the most secular rock band out there or a conservative Christian like me writing modern hymns -- or a neo-Classical oratorio, for that matter. It has the same root, pride, and the root of pride can never bring forth the fruit of godliness, or anything else that will matter for eternity.

   But....

   If it is for God's glory, and His only, then there's no telling what He can do with our offerings! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet