My Story: Church Pianist, part 2

 


   In case you haven't noticed yet, I am definitely old-school when it comes to my music tastes. If the reference to hymns rather than praise and worship songs in Church Pianist, Part 1 didn't tip you off, then my opinions expressed under the label The Christian Musician probably have. When it's time to turn up Spotify, hymns and classical is where I usually go. (And the occasional movie or musical track. But I try to listen to those sparingly.) 

   Anyways, to get back to the story, in my late teens, our family made the decision to step back from the church we'd called home for ten years, and try something different. There were a lot of personal reasons for that, none of which are particularly relevant here. 

   The point is, we wound up in a small church where the music was... different. 

   It had a drum set. Now, I know, that's fairly normal for most churches, but it had been ten years since we had attended a church with a drum set! Also, the drum was. Really. Loud. 

   Small churches also have an interesting dynamic. Especially with a pastor who doesn't want to see people come in, sit through his sermon with glazed eyes, and then go home and live as though they'd never heard a word he said. 

   We had attended maybe four times when the church planned for a weekend of revival-style services. Not surprisingly, considering it's usually the first thing people find out about me, it had gotten out that I played piano, and I was asked if I would play a couple of familiar hymns over the three or four services. I was happy to agree.

   "Great," the deacon said. "We'd like to practice with the worship team. Can you come on this day at this time?"

   I gave a gulp and said I would be there! 

   That weekend was something else. It still makes me grin thinking about it. On the one hand, I was way out of my comfort zone. The worship leader was used to having her own brother at the keyboard, and her brother was very used to her randomly starting in on the next song, leaving him to figure out (really fast!) what key she was singing in. I was used to having sheet music and a designated list of songs, and giving the lead as far as key went. Also, besides my hymns, I suddenly had to learn several songs by ear. What a blessing that the worship leader's favourites were easy to learn. 

   Halfway through the meetings, the regular keyboardist politely "shoved me off the bench." Since my hymns were over for that evening, I couldn't help but be a bit relieved. Until I was handed a microphone. 

   I don't sing. Not well. Not publicly. Not anywhere where others outside my family and close friends can hear me. 

   As it turned out, the instruments were so loud that no one could hear me anyways! As soon as I realized that I couldn't hear myself, despite the microphone, so therefore neither could anybody else, I relaxed and enjoyed my new position on the team. 

   On the flip side, there was something unique and kind of fun (is that sacrilegious to say your church service was fun?) about the new challenges. There was a pleasant irony about the whole thing. 

   After the meetings, the pastor decided he liked having an occasional hymn added to the selection. Being every bit as spontaneous as his children (the worship leader and keyboardist), he surprised me one fine Sunday by calling me to the front and asking me to play. Except I wasn't prepared. My beloved hymnal lay at home on my piano. 

   I don't remember what I played. I know I stumbled through something.  But I do remember what he said to me afterwards when I timidly admitted that I needed sheet music in order to play. His words were the best musical advice I've ever received.

   He said, "If you need your sheet music, then make sure you always have it with you!" 

  So true. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet