Festival: To register or not to register?

 I probably should be writing a New Year's post. However, I'm not. On the flip side, I will quickly say that 2022 has been a very good year, professionally and personally, a year in which I've seen God's blessings in a very tangible way. Praise Him, the Giver of every good and perfect gift! (James 1:17) God is good, all the time -- whether it's 2020, 2022, or 2052. 

   However, the thing on my mind for blogging right now is actually Parkland Music Festival. For those who may not be familiar with music festivals in general, a music festival is an educational opportunity, a performance opportunity, and a competition, rolled into one. Performers, ranging from 5-year-olds to college students, register to enter into an age-and-level appropriate class. One by one, all the members of the class will perform their pieces for an adjudicator, basically a highly skilled, professional musician. After everyone has played, the adjudicator works with each child, giving them advice on how they can improve that piece or just their general performance habits. 

   So, why subject students to this? Glad you asked! 

  1. The chance to get input from someone other than me. Yes, I give teaching my best. I love teaching, and I hope you know that! However, there's always going to be someone who knows more than me. The adjudicators are highly qualified musicians who will be able to offer a unique perspective to improve your child's music skills.
  2. The chance to perform. I know, hardly any eight-year-old enjoys performing. However, performance is one of those things where, the more you do it, the less scary it becomes. Getting them up there now, at a young age, in a semi-formal setting, will help them develop the courage that will serve them well in their adult years, whether on stage or in the business world. Plus it's something they can look back on and be proud of themselves for. 
  3. Social reasons. Seeing other kids their age, or some younger, or some older, can help keep up motivation. I've seen it happen in my own students! 
  4. The chance of winning a scholarship or being recommended for Provincials. I left this one for last because there's only so many scholarships to be awarded. However, it is a fact that anyone who plays two or more pieces in Festival may become eligible for one of those scholarships. It shouldn't be the main reason you enter your child in, but it is pretty exciting to be able to walk up on stage at the Showcase concert and receive a nice little cheque (and it helps with your costs in piano lessons!). 
   I actually have many great memories of Festival performances myself. It's a wonderful experience for the student who's willing to work hard, and it gives them a sense of accomplishment. 

   With January just around the corner, if you've never considered piano lessons for your child before, now's a great time to sign them up! Click here for more information on in-person lessons, or here for information on online lessons. And, speaking of Festival, I will be formally offering accompaniment services this year, so please contact me for my accompaniment rates (which are not formally on the website yet, but I hope to have them up soon). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet