February Cold Snap (And How It Affects Piano Lessons)

"Last week most of my students' parents decided to go on vacation," I remarked off-handedly to an acquaintance.

   She motioned out the window. "With all this, yeah."

   "All this," if you're not local, refers to the weather. It's been freezing cold! As in, averaging minus 20 Celcius. And snow, yes. And sunshine on snow, which is beautiful -- as long as you're indoors with a nice mug of hot chocolate and nowhere to go!


   Can't blame my piano parents for hopping on the planes. In fact, I'm almost jealous!

   So, yes, I had a very quiet week last week. And this week, a resulting mixed-up schedule (due to make-up lessons and sick students). In short, there's not much to write about.

   I try to use unexpected days off to develop new plans and ideas. But then there's other things to catch up on, and I always have more ideas than time to develop them. :(

   However, I will confess to stocking my brain with all kinds of new ideas. This last week I watched an online webinar for piano teachers, which gave me ideas for new lesson plans besides my standard private and "Buddy" lessons. Also I record my own lessons with my piano teacher on my phone, and finally realized that I can listen to those exactly the same way I'd listen to a podcast -- while walking the dog, cleaning, or baking. Nothing better than being able to multitask! And the best thing is, unlike a podcast, replaying my own lessons gives me exactly what I need to hear.

   Have a great day. And stay warm. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet