OK, So It's Not Valentine's Day Yet ...

...but that hasn't stopped me from pulling out the Valentine's Day activities a week early!

 

   Well, when you have these great seasonal activities from TPT to use, might as well use them, right? 

   Actually, that improv above got a new twist in one of my two-student lessons. One student improvised. The other, given only the starting note of the first student, had to play it back. I love it when I find a new way to use an old favourite! Because that particular improv is one of the first teaching games I printed out, and a complete introduction to improv for me. I had never done it as a student, so how was I supposed to teach it? Now I know several ways, but these with their phrase-rhythms are still my favourite. 

   The "vase of roses" in the corner is for practicing random note reading. That idea also came from TPT.
   Here the student arranges the paper flowers based on which notes are in the measure of music I pointed to. 

   Last week, when I went shopping, I was on the lookout for heart-shaped sticky notes to use with my erasable grand staff. I didn't find heart-shaped sticky notes; instead I found cupcake sticky notes. Those work too! I put those to work practicing directional sight-reading -- based on the skip, step, repeat patterns. They're a little large for my staff, but they work. I think the boys in my studio probably prefer cupcakes over hearts anyways. 

   Here's a couple other shots of students in action with different theory games, just as an extra. 💗
Practicing some rhythm, using both clapping and lap taps. 

Enjoying a little friendly competition with this theory game. 

   That's it for now! Enjoy your Valentine's day with your favourite people ... and hopefully your favourite sweet treats as well. :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet