The Christian Musician: Writing Straight Rhythms in a Syncopated World

   No, I'm not going to go into whether syncopation is right or wrong, how much or how little you should or shouldn't use, or anything like that. Someday I might. Today's not that day.
Image result for hands playing piano images
   Instead, this post is for the Christian songwriter who already knows something about the syncopation debate, and who finds themselves in the same place I was not that long ago. Not that long ago, I didn't want to add to the list of syncopated Christian songs. But sometimes, when I was songwriting, it felt like it just had to be syncopated and there was nothing I could do about it.

   Did you know: That feeling is 100% false.

   Every day, we're surrounded by syncopated music. Everywhere. The rhythm, whether we're aware of it or not, gets into us and influences what kind of music we're writing. But there is a way to counter it, to write the music that you want to write even if it's different than that which surrounds you.

   The #1 rule about writing music is to stop listening to the music you don't want to write. 

   Yeah, I know. I just stepped on someone's toes. But before you jump to the comments box and give me a piece of your mind, let me tell you something: I did it. I had three albums by the same artist that I really liked. Just ask my dad -- he got very tired of hearing the same songs over and over and over again. Yet it wasn't the kind of music I wanted to write -- partially because the artist's style was more country/gospel, which doesn't work that well on a piano! And as I started songwriting, I realized that her songs were very heavily influencing my music. So I made a decision. I decided what kind of music I did want to write, and what kind I didn't want to write. I put away the music that I didn't want mine to sound like -- even though I liked it -- and started listening to the music that was in the style I wanted to write in. No, I didn't throw away my three albums. I don't have a moral problem with them, for the most part, and I still occasionally pull them out and play them. But I don't do it frequently. Partially because my tastes have changed, and I usually feel like listening to Fountainview Academy or Greg Howlett instead. :) And my songwriting style changed, based on what I listened to.

   In other words, if you want to think of it positively, listen to the kind of music you do want to write. Even if it means putting away a favourite album for a while.

   Rule #2: You are the songwriter. You can change the song. 

   I did this a few times too. When you go lyrics first, it's actually fairly easy. Say it once with the rhythm that feels natural. If you don't like it, try a slightly different rhythm. Dotted quarter notes work really well for replacing syncopation, by the way. :)

   It may sound very obvious, but if you have a song that "just came to you," you might not like all the elements that came to you. Maybe you don't like the rhythm, don't think the mood of the music fits the words, or can't stand the harmony. Well, take control! In the end, you're writing the song. The song is not writing itself (much as it might feel that way on a particularly inspired day).

   I think these two points can ring true no matter what kind of music you write, so I'll finish with my personal motto for songwriting:

   Have fun. Glorify God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And to this I said Amen

Gloves: For More than Keeping Your Child's Hands Warm

When Music Teachers Meet